Our story & values
Stay has been a specialist charitable housing provider and a provider of person-centred support for homeless and vulnerable people in the Telford & Wrekin Borough, for over 30 years.
Stay began life in November 1997, when Telford Christian Council Supported Housing (now operating as Stay) was established. The charity was set up after a number of young people turned up at local churches asking for help as they had nowhere else to go. The name ‘Stay’ however was known in Telford for some years before that time through the original “Stay Project” at Wesley House in Oakengates, which was opened in 1990.
The former Methodist chapel that had fallen into disrepair was refurbished by volunteers from local churches (ably assisted by Anneka Rice and the Challenge Anneka TV programme) and opened its doors as a place of refuge and help for young homeless people in the town.
Today, we support over 1,000 homeless and vulnerable people each year. As a small charitable housing provider, we are focused on supporting people facing significant life challenges. We are a safety net and springboard for people across the Borough of Telford. We catch people when they need help and support them to thrive, so they can be empowered to live independent and fulfilling lives. With the right support, at the right time, we know people can realise their dreams and aspirations.
Stay Case Studies
Our Vision, Mission and Values
To end homelessness, and empower people to rebuild their lives
- To Prevent the causes of homelessness
- To Respond to the immediate needs of those who face homelessness
- To Champion the needs of homeless individuals at every opportunity
- Passionate We value the importance of the work we do, having a non-judgmental and empathic approach to supporting individuals. We aim to harness the assets held within the communities we support and are guided by those for whom we serve
- Integrity We value representing constant and uncompromising moral and ethical principles in the work we do within a Christian ethos. We strive to provide quality services that are inclusive and ensure social justice and respect for all
- Collaboration No journey needs to be taken alone and we are always better together. We work respectfully in partnership with individuals coming into our services, and in collaboration with partners across sectors to achieve the best outcomes for all
- Effective We value the importance of quickly responding to the needs of the communities we serve. We are proactive in our approach and challenge where appropriate on behalf of those we support. We strive to instil confidence and empower and inspire individuals to thrive independently